Sunday, November 24, 2013

My best advice

I know personally just how many different blogs, articles, books, and people are out there to provide advice for pregnancy and for new moms. I find myself Googling so many questions I have on a regular basis (and like I teach my students, I don't just pick the first one and stop reading, I read a bunch to find out different opinions). On that note, I am going to be a bit hypocritical of my belief that you should take all advice with a grain of salt and give you some of the best advice I received (but maybe didn't heed), or have to give from my own personal experience, with the hope that it will be the advice you take.

First, I wish I would have packed that hospital bag when the pregnancy app told me to. Or my husband told me to. I do not like the fact that I spent the first hour of labor wondering what I'd need. Next time, there is no waiting.

In that hospital bag, I really wish I would have had an extra pillow and blanket for Kyle. He froze as my hormones raged and I endured days of sweating.  I also wish I had bought a nursing bra (with flexibility of size- like a sports-style) and a nursing tank top to wear home/ at the hospital. I did not need movies (no movie was as good as watching the new baby), or fancy underwear to wear home. Buy some crappy boy shorts you don't mind ruining if you want to bring your own underwear. OR take advantage of the hospital disposable kind- no one cares what you are wearing there.

Next, I really was not ready for the storm of the first month with the baby. I got some great advice on how to get through it, which I solicited, and the only thing I can really say is you just have to go with the flow that first month and not try to plan for anything. You will never be able to predict what the baby will be like. Get as much rest as you can when you can. It is ok to put the baby down when he or she is sleeping and not keep holding him or her. Don't feel guilty if he or she sleeps with you one or two nights. Don't feel guilty if he or she sleeps in the swing or napper chair. Keep the baby warm- this might help if he or she doesn't like being in the crib by himself or herself. And accept all the offers for meals from friends or family- but ask them to come in week 3 and not just the first week. Week 3 is harder. Take lots of pictures, including a newborn photo session in the first 2 weeks. It was totally worth getting those memories captured professionally when all I had to do was watch and get ready myself. Invite people over to help hold the baby so you can shower and eat.

Last, my advice is to not give up your life. My husband and I got out with the baby on day 8, and have taken him to various backyard get-togethers, parks, restaurants (at off times with fewer people), and stores. It makes you feel like life is still sort of normal, even though it isn't. I know some doctors caution against this, but this may be the example of advice I threw out. As long as people aren't touching your child, germs happen, but are rare. That is my opinion.

So now I've contributed to the overload, but at least I will be able to read this before child number 2 as a reminder to myself.

No matter what you do- the kid will be fine- just look at this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment