Friday, May 23, 2014

My First Mother's Day!

Emerson planned a really fun day for my first Mother's Day.  I was really hoping to start a memorable tradition for this special day as well, like I did for some of my other favorite days. Since this task wasn't exactly in my hands, then I didn't know how to make sure that this would happen.

First, I got my first home-made gift from daycare.

 

Of course, the gift contained a good story. First, it has an English teacher's nightmare of a grammatical error. Next, it was funny because we tried to make those Christmas ornaments I talked about in an earlier post, with his footprints, and then the daycare worker told me that he wouldn't cooperate with his left foot and kept curling his toes up.

Then, on the actual Mother's Day, daddy made reservations for brunch in the Compass Room at the downtown Hyatt. This was very fancy! Mimosas, a carving station, and the craziest "pancakes" you'll ever see! I was just happy to dress up and go someplace we never go!

Yep, pancakes... and a free flower and mimosa! (Ok, not free, with the cost of brunch!)
Waiting for brunch- Emerson wore anchors for his momma!

Getting hungry~

A room with a view!
Then we headed over to the neighboring Japanese Friendship Garden, but Emerson fell asleep so he missed most of it!

"Out" for a walk!

Mom loves waterfalls!

Last, we headed to another garden, the Desert Botanical Garden, so we could take in the Chihuly exhibit once more before it ends. Since we are members, we took advantage of the cooler weather to visit before the summer season. It was a perfect, relaxing day, during which I did no grading and got to spend plenty of times and take plenty of pictures of and with the family!

The star burst at the entrance

Another "momma" was celebrating her first Mother's Day! Found in a cactus in the wildflower garden section!

Emerson taking in the sights

"It is too bright, momma!"

This is much better!

Wish this was real! And permanent!

Taking in some shade in the mud hut.

What is that wet stuff? So neat!

The sun began to set as we watched all the people walking by on the path.

So happy!

This is the "mother's" sculpture- it was pink, white, and purple.

Sunset!

The most beautiful sun ever...

Saying goodbye to the garden!

Same sculpture, different lighting...

Last, we capped off the night at Caffe Boa downtown Tempe for a glass of wine and some bruschetta. It was the best way to spend a full, as usual, but unique and memorable Sunday. My first Mother's Day- the only "first" one I'll ever get!

I guess that made up for last year's last-minute card...

No comments:

Post a Comment