Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Learning to Appreciate the Little Things

In pregnancy, sometimes it is the little things that matter. A tiny flutter in your tummy indicating movement that provides proof of life. A healthy heartbeat at the OB. A night of sleep without needing to get up to pee.

Perhaps it isn't just the little things that make me happy, but also the little things that I miss, which make me a little sad.

I have a new-found appreciation for escalators.
I have never loved fruit more.
I miss being able to eat fruit without heartburn.
I miss being able to use the restroom when it is convenient.

This entire post was inspired by a prenatal massage that I had last night. Considered a luxury to most, a massage becomes a sort of necessity for pregnancy. (This is my third). Let me recount the hour:

Massages--meant to be relaxing and soothing. I was tired as hell after my first 8-hour work day after 6 weeks off. The Arizona heat is taking it all out of me. I get set to enjoy a nice, indulgent hour in peace and quiet with all attention on me (and not just coworkers wanting to see how large I've gotten over summer!) I lay down, and even with the pillow between my knees and my head propped, I feel like I am going to tumble forward as my therapist pushes on my back. So instead of completely letting go, I had to use my muscle to hold myself up. (Note: I seriously miss laying on my back at this moment).

Next, this is where the real fun comes. The motions of the the massage churn up all the gas from my dinner. First comes the heartburn. I continue to swallow, but man! it burns. I swallow so many times I am sure my therapist thinks I am about to blow chunks. Then I burp. Seriously, just burp. How gross am I?

Oh no, that wasn't the worst. Then I feel the need to pass gas. (In case you are unaware, this is a common and frequent need in pregnancy). This would just be beyond inappropriate. So I have to hold that in, and then start to feel even less relaxed as I am holding myself on the table and holding my gasses in.

Moral of the story, I have learned to appreciate the little things. But even more I miss the little things I took for granted.

If it is worth anything, I still appreciated the massage. And I could have avoided eating that calzone for dinner right before a massage, so maybe I need to make better decisions about meals.

Which brings it all back to learning to appreciate things like being in control of my body instead of being held prisoner by it.

Isn't pregnancy a beautiful thing?

The first ultrasound at 8 weeks! See what I mean, appreciating the "little" things! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment