Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pregnant Workouts

I have a bit of a confession. I really thought I was hot stuff at the beginning of this pregnancy.
The weekend we found out I was pregnant, I decided, being my Spring Break, that I'd get back into my workout routine. I jogged around the neighborhood daily, went hiking, lifted weights, and did so nearly everyday for 2 weeks. Yes, one day I got totally wiped out after Barbell class, was on the couch the rest of the day, and realized that I'd have to increase my food intake to keep up that kind of schedule, but I knew I was on the path to staying fit this pregnancy.

Then I only gained 1 pound my entire first trimester. I gloated a bit. I kicked bootie at Zumba, and lifted all I was allowed during weights.

And then one doctor visit, at 20 weeks to be exact, the nurse declared "Well, you must have your appetite again."

Jaw on ground.

Did I really gain THAT much? (Ok, it was like 8 pounds total, nothing to freak out about, but did she need to POINT THAT OUT SO BLUNTLY?!)

This wouldn't be as harsh had I not just recently, last summer  to be exact, lost nearly 25 pounds. I look at those wedding and honeymoon pictures and I am like "DAAAMMNNN, GIRL!" To know that I am back to where I started this journey (but, yes, for a good reason) is more than my fragile, hormone-driven ego can handle some days.

So I continue to work out whenever I can muster the energy. But today it kind of hit me that an hour class at the gym is maybe more than my body wants to handle, as I danced away and continued to feel my uterus contract at a disconcerting rate. I stopped early, and switched over to some seated dumbbell curls. I did learn that doing weights and building muscle were more effective than cardio, after all, in looking lean (and actually being lean, I am sure).  I guess I will just have to modify my workout schedule to include more leisurely-paced cardio with my weightlifting.

I feel a bit defeated. I feel like I've failed myself and now I am going to spiral down a path of ultimate laziness and gain an atrocious amount of weight in these last 3(ish) months. It is really hard as a pregnant woman (who only reads Fit Pregnancy) to let go of that control and succumb to the calls of my body. I am just eternally grateful to little Blueberry for only making me crave fruit and salad! That will certainly help combat the extra poundage (even with my occasional indulgence from Dairy Queen).

I think I will give in, push my pride to the side, and start attending Water Aerobics with the little old ladies (no offense, mom.)


My favorite workouts were long walks around the lake path back home in Minnesota. Can't wait for cooler temps!

With Scoobie as a companion!

No comments:

Post a Comment